Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Most Overlooked: 1970-S Small Date Lincoln Cents

Here's my most recent cherrypick, it's a Proof set plucked 1970-S Small Date Lincoln Memorial cent.  I was fortunate enough to buy this complete proof set for only $7 as part of a blowout sale.  This coin consistently sells in the open market for about $50-$70 as a raw example.  Generally it wouldn't make any sense to grade something like this, unless you were sure it was a perfect coin that has the chance of grading 69 or 70.  This example had the typical unattractive "white haze" that is the norm for these earlier proof sets.

Under close magnification, you'll want to make sure your example has the high "7" that is flush with the top of the "0" in the date.  And of course look out for the weakly struck "Liberty".  Good luck hunting!

3 comments:

  1. Hi,, I have cherry pick my piggy bank collection over 10 years and have found several of this.. I will be posting pictures of this and would like your comments on what I have found.. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's a really cool coin do you think you could help me with some photos of a coin and tell me if you think it's real or not

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best site there is 3 yr. Follower

    ReplyDelete